You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer (IE Version 8 and Earlier). Please upgrade to the latest version of IE. We also support Firefox and Chrome as alternative browsers and find users have the best experience on Chrome (any recent version).
Smart Cycling Class - Anchorage
September 22, 2018 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Registration has ended for this event
This program is designed to develop bicycling skills and awareness - to use a bicycle with confidence and competence for pleasure, utility or sport under various highway, climate, terrain and traffic conditions. During this course you will learn traffic law, bicycle handling, how to conduct bicycle safety checks, on-bike skills and crash avoidance techniques. For beginning or novice riders, this course combines classroom discussion/activities and on-road practice to instruct students in the practice of vehicular-style bicycling and overcoming the fear of riding in traffic. Learning the techniques in this class will allow you to ride more confidently and more often while having more fun. This Smart Cycling course (formerly called Traffic Skills 101) is a prerequisite for becoming a League Certified Instructor (LCI).
- Length: 9 hours instruction plus 1 hour lunch break (8 AM–6 PM)
- Recommended for: Cycling enthusiasts, bike commuters, outdoor trip leaders, camp staff, parks and recreation employees
- Must be age 16 or older to register.
- Cost: $50 (discount may be available under special circumstances)
- Location: CRW Engineering Group conference room in midtown Anchorage (3940 Arctic Blvd, Suite 300)
- Prerequisites: None
- Lunch Break: from Noon to 1:00. Either bring a bag lunch or join a group bike ride to a nearby eatery.
- Please bring your own bicycle and helmet and clothing to ride in all conditions, including rain.
- LCI Instructors include Brian Looney (CRW) and Pierce Schwalb (Bike Anchorage)
- Certification Received: Smart Cycling. This is a lifetime certification.
What to wear
ABC Quick Check
Principles of Bicycling
Riding in a group
Sharing paths and trails
Riding in bad weather
Riding long distances
- Skills development
- Group riding
- Traveling through intersections
CRW Engineering Group - Conference Room
3940 Arctic Blvd., Suite 300
Anchorage, AK 99507
Find more cycling resources in your area.