Share #BikeJoy in 2020
BIG THANKS to all who made our #GivingTuesday fundraising kick-off a huge success! On Dec 3rd, more than 200 bicyclists came together to raise more than $20,000 in support of better biking. We still have a long way to go - help us start 2020 in Pedal Power Position with a gift by Dec 31st.
By supporting the League with a tax-deductible gift, you're spreading more #BikeJoy from coast to coast. Help us in our fight for safe streets and connected communities, centered around the bicycle.
The League has had an especially impactful year in 2019. Advancing our coalition of transportation, health, environmental and safety advocates here in Washington and throughout the US. On the Hill, our Federal Advocacy shifted into high gear, building on the success of the National Bike Summit in March:
- Offering expert testimony about bicyclists' safety before the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
- Building support to pass the COMMUTE Act, putting more data about bicycling in the hands of city planners, and the Bicycle Commuter Act, reinstating and expanding tax benefits for bicycle commuters
- Promoting the Transportation Alternatives Enhancement Act, which would mark a major increase in funding available to bicycling and walking infrastructure projects
- Developing the SAFE Streets Act, to increase the equity of state's spending on road safety
- Nationwide, people who were bicycling, walking, or using a wheelchair account for roughly 18% of all traffic fatalities. However, states spend less than 1% of their federal safety funds building safer places for biking and walking. The SAFE Streets Act requires states to spend more where people like us are most in-danger.