Successful completion of the Smart Cycling Complete Class (formerly Traffic Skills 101) is necessary prior to the Seminar. All candidates MUST complete the class with a 85% or better at least three weeks prior to the LCI seminar.
Visit: Steps to Becoming a League Instructor for more information.
Please complete your event registration by completing checkout with payment. You are not considered registered for the seminar until you reach the confirmation page. There is no option to save your registration and finish it later.
Registration confirmation AND the seminar pre-assessment will be sent via email, so register with an email address that you check frequently.
Registration does not guarantee entry into the seminar nor does it guarantee certification as an LCI. Before your scheduled seminar date, you will need to successfully pass the pre-assessment with a grade of 85% or better at least two weeks before the seminar, and spend time thoughtfully preparing two lessons - one individual and one joint - which will require working together with others in your seminar. Timely communication with your Coach is essential to preparation.
The League reserves the right to exclude candidates from the seminar if tasks are not completed by the deadlines.
We expect that experienced bicyclists are seeking certification. This class is meant primarily to focus on how best to teach bicycling education. Additionally, this weekend is not about learning how to ride safely, it's about teaching. Attendance at all seminar hours is mandatory, and does not guarantee certification. All candidates are required to maintain a politically neutral stance in all aspects of the seminar as well as any classes they may instruct as LCIs.
Successful candidates will have a strong working knowledge of bikes and bike maintenance and a great deal of experience riding in high traffic scenarios. Successful candidates also have strong core values aligned with philosophies of the League, including helmet use, bicycling infrastructure, and full incorporation of the idea that all people who ride bicycles are equal cyclists, regardless of political affiliation, race, gender, age or religion and that all students deserve respectful, polite and meaningful instruction.
Prior to registration you must read and understand thoroughly the FAQs of the seminar and the LCI Code of Ethics.
Cancellation and transfer requests must be sent via email to email@example.com. The cancellation policy applies to all candidates whether the registration is being paid by an individual or by an organization.
- Cancelling a registration 21 days or more in advance of the seminar is fully refundable minus a $75 administrative fee. Transfers requested 21 days or more to another seminar location or to another person are free and must be redeemed within 18 months.
- Cancelling a registration within 20 days but no less than 15 days prior to the seminar, 50% of the seminar fee is refundable. Transfer of a registration at this point to another seminar or to another person will be assessed with a $175 transfer fee and must be redeemed within 18 months.
- Cancelling a registration within 14 days of the seminar is non-refundable. Transfers requested within 14 days of the seminar will be assessed a $175 transfer fee and must be redeemed within 18 months.
- A full refund or free registration transfer will be provided for any seminar that is canceled due to low enrollment.
- Failure of a candidate to fulfill pre-assessment work in a timely fashion will be considered a cancellation and will be assessed a $175 transfer fee. Transfers must be redeemed within 18 months.
We will provide students with e-documents for the seminar free of charge in your confirmation email. This will include all course materials, the Enjoy the Ride DVD clip, and the Pre-Assessment. These will be in Google Drive, which is accessible to anyone, whether you have a Gmail account or not. Since all the course materials are PDFs, they are searchable by term using the Find function. This process will allow us to make updates to the materials as needed. It is important that LCIs are not only comfortable facilitating bike safety, but also with using computers.
Should candidates wish to have hard copies, they may choose to make copies at a local office supply store or have us send them one at the cost of $75. These materials will be shipped via FedEx ground. Please note that candidates do not need to have hard copies for the seminar or to successfully complete the pre-assessment.
IMPORTANT: There is required preparation for the course, which includes a pre-assessment that must be returned to the seminar Coach at least 14 days prior to the start of the seminar.
If you have questions, contact the League Director of Education at 202-822-1333 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will receive an email with important information about the seminar directly following your registration, please read thoroughly.